Friday, October 27, 2017

Wrapping it up at Lacawac: A rewarding Leap of Faith

I'm writing this final post while in Concord, New Hampshire, visiting my brother before heading home. My second week of residency would have ended Friday, so I took the opportunity to leave a day early and have a good visit with him and his family.

My final days at Lacawac became a blur as I saw the end of my residency looming. I'd started a larger version of the small rhododendrons, but within a full morning's work on Wednesday it became overwrought and ultimately not what I intended at all. I am reminded - and it seems I needed the reminder - that my best work is more spontaneous. This one I'd started out sketched out in pencil to position the figures well on the canvas, with tension between them. Having started that way was the wrong turn. It's a weird piece that I'll either work more to try resurrecting it, or trash entirely. Not a waste of time, since as I already said, I needed the reminder.

On Wednesday I was visited by a collector (AA), who drove 4-1/2 hours to see my work in person. She was accompanied by my mother (they are long time friends, both sharing wanderlust tendencies) and both stayed the night. I served "high tea" in the Watres Lodge living room when they arrived that afternoon, then took them out to the studio. I'd brought a few paintings with me from home, which I'd hung on the studio wall. She noticed the Wickecheoke Creek piece right away, having recognized it as a favorite from my website, and said it was even better in person. She also really liked the water lily paintings that I'd done there at Lacawac.

We had a long conversation about how different everything looks when backlit by a monitor, and how color would be different from one device to another. (The same image file that I download to my website is seen completely different on my laptop than on my cell phone.) The paintings are more nuanced in person.

We all enjoyed a walk on a short trail, a canoe ride on the lake, then a hearty dinner. Heidi and Shannon joined us for the meal and we sat around the table talking for two hours about life and art, experiences, expectations, and yearnings. With Heidi and Shannon in the early 30's, and my guests nearly 80, I sat comfortably in the middle, providing a bridge. Exhausted by 10pm, we all headed to our rooms, knowing I'd be packing up early the next morning.

AA decided to take Wickecheoke Creek home with her since it was the one she liked best, and to see if it would fit in with her home and other art pieces; and if it didn't agreed to have me bring other pieces to her for more consideration. They headed out by 10am.

Craig and Heidi took possession of the 8x8" rhododendron painting in trade for part of my residency fees; we took a few photos for posterity, then I packed up  and was on the road by 11am.

I'd just arrived in Concord when I got a call from AA that Wickecheoke Creek was a perfect fit, and she'd written a check already.

Over the 6-1/2 hour drive to Concord I thought long and hard about my two week experience, and knew that my earliest predictions had come to pass. Ups and downs: good paintings and bad, loneliness and company, cold and warm, clear skies and rain. The best part is that I took a leap of faith to focus on making new work and that leap was rewarded. The unexpected bonus is that of the 8 paintings I made at Lacawac three have already been purchased.

I look forward to showing the Water Lilly paintings at upcoming venues this fall, the first being the Art All Day Studio Tour on November 4th - just one week away. Those three were my best work there, and I'm glad to be able to show them together.


No comments:

Post a Comment