Friday, October 20, 2017

Day 5: Visitors

More people here at the complex on Thursday than all those that I'd seen since Sunday put together. Several families with young children stepped into the studio to say hello; Craig L (VP of the Sanctuary) was in the big lodge getting it ready for this weekend's group and we had a nice chat; my sister and mother arrived around noon having driven 3-1/2 hours for the visit; and the day was rounded out sharing a glass of wine under the dark sky with a couple of women who'd come here to attend a nearby meeting and would spend the night in the big lodge. I was glad for company!

My sister Tina is a soulfully creative person, more so than I, truly. We spoke about spending a few days here together next year, which I'd really like. Her quirky photography, found and natural objects weaving, and intimate site installations should come together in an exhibit one day: A dual residency, and an exhibit for the results.

All the welcome interruptions kept me mostly out of the studio but I did complete the big canvas "Ariel Creek, October" the scene from below St. Mary's Church Road bridge looking out toward Lake Wallenpaupack. The painting came close to overwrought in places, and I'm keen on other parts, so all in all it seemed time to walk away, consider it done. In the late afternoon after my family visit was over, I did a 10 minute study on an 11x16 of the water lilies in Lake Lacawac. Today I'll do more of them, painting from the hip, then a 30x40 which I hope to create as a looser piece, more in kind with "Forsythia on the Creek". Big goal for tomorrow morning is to hike down to the Ledges with a couple of small boards before my husband and our kids arrive for the weekend.

Completed "Ariel Creek, October" 20x60" acrylic on linen:

No comments:

Post a Comment