Thursday, October 19, 2017

Day 4: An Angled Companion

Late to bed and late to rise, it seems 8:30 is my internal waking time. I've elected for no alarms, and so without noise outside either, I've been opening my eyes completely rested and ready for the day. Yesterday's morning coffee, and several other times as I stretched my legs from the easel, I was met with the eyes of a young buck not more than 30 feet away. It seems this acre is his too. I'd seen him each other day once or twice, but yesterday he was closer and maybe less hidden as he strolled through the trees or lay in a patch of sun throughout the day. He's sporting a one-horn rack, one side cantilevered over his right eye like a jaunty hat line, pointing the way for him to make a constant circle so maybe he's trapped on this acre.
I spent the whole day in the studio, pushing the 20x30" piece that I started yesterday, and my comfort levels, then pushing more. It went to the ledge then over it, and I've hauled most of it back up with good result. I'm hoping to have it mostly finished today.

Had a good long chat with Roy, the Lacawac man responsible for the renovation in the Ice House last year. He gave me some history of the place from a personal perspective as he'd known Arthur Watres well. He's been the only visitor on a consistent basis as he comes and goes for work in this immediate complex. A couple of young girls (college?) were here for a few hours for a research project, and several cars went by during the day on the way to the pond dock for sample readings. The boats at the dock invite a ride on the water but I am reluctant to do so alone; looking forward to doing so this Saturday when the family comes visiting for an overnight.
Am expecting my sister and Mother to visit today for a few hours. A big investment (7 hours round trip) for the opportunity to egg me on, to see this location, and to consider it for a future family event.
The sun is out again today, no clouds at all. Planning to explore Heron Lake and the Ledges tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment