Monday, October 16, 2017

Lacawac Residency, Studio Log: Day 1

Wind is shivering the grounded leaves below a colorful canopy, and though this morning is chilled, the report is for a glorious day and rest of the week. I have not been alone for years. This residency - two weeks to make paintings and otherwise as I like - looms on this Day 1 morning like an anticipated joy ride, likely with as many ups as downs. I arrived yesterday at 2:45. The Ice House was open, clean and cozy. The Carriage House was open too, with lots of table and chairs strewn about, projecting some recent activity there. The Lacawac liason, Heidi, met me on the road then gave me a brief tour including a short hike down to the lake and a rapid-fire report on the highlights to be had - especially sunrise on the lake as beavers are there at that time - made sure I had keys, and reported on what to expect for other's coming to the lodge area over the next week. It seems I'm to be mostly alone for the week save for the hikers passing by. We said our good-nights and then I set to unpacking the van and setting up my studio. Pushing a large table to one corner of the house (area is about 10x15) and putting all chairs to the other end, I put my easel facing two corner windows, and set out my paints. Two days ago I purchased a contractor's grade, adjustable 3-panel LED light stand, and it seems to put out the right kind of light to augment whatever comes in through the trees, and might extend my painting day. During my 2-1/2 hour drive here yesterday, the sun finally made its appearance 15 minutes before I arrived. It's overcast now, but I'll go for a drive soon to seek and intercept some first morning sun. If you want to read about the Lacawac Field Sanctuary, its history and programs: www.lacawac.org Here is my studio, and the old entranceway to the lodges:

1 comment: