Sunday, September 6, 2009

Siblings

The relationship I have with my sisters has become the essential fertilizer in many of my life adventures. Despite our differences, which seem to fade over the years, we've found common ground in our parenting, travels, and daily worries. Knowing this has given me strength when I might have given up, coupled as it may be with simply not wanting to appear less than fully capable in their eyes. A relationship with my brother has proven just as deep, if not tended to with the same regularity.

Watching my daughter and sons cultivate their bonds this summer, finally getting past (at least for now) the often vicious tauntings that colored most of their conversations last spring, has been very rewarding. Whether or not the complete and utter boredom I offered them for several weeks this summer led them to it, in the end they own this new freedom with eachother. Several days of Monopoly, Life, and Battleship games in front of the floor fan was the cultivator.

The easy banter and laughter in the ride home after an unexpectedly short day at the beach was the bloom.

.

1 comment:

  1. Leni, I love your blog! Tell your mom I love hers too and I hope both of you keep writing. You and your sisters are so smart, reflective, artistic....you're inspiring me right now to 1) work on my own home renovations and 2) start a blog so I write consistently! Keep it up - the story of the beetles and how you named your blog was hysterical and your thoughts on your relationship with your siblings and now your kids relationships was very poignant.

    ReplyDelete